100th Anniversary of Fatima Apparitions
About Our Lady of Fatima
2017 marks the 100th Anniversary of the Fatima Apparitions. In 1917, Our Lady appeared to three young shepherd children, Lucia, Francisco, and Jacinta, in the small town of Fatima, Portugal. She first appeared on May 13th and asked them to come back on the 13th of each month for the next five months. Her main request of them was to pray the rosary every day for peace and the conversion of sinners. And on July 13th, she even showed the young children a vision of hell, which incited them to seriously heed her call for prayer and sacrifice for sinners. The young children suffered a lot and were even threatened by authorities and taken to prison for a short time. But on October 13th, Our Lady fulfilled her promise of a miracle so that all would believe called the “Miracle of the Sun,” when the sun danced and spun around in the sky then plummeted to earth, completely drying the land after days of torrential rain. Over 70,000 people witnessed it, and even the newspapers reported on the miracle with actual pictures. Our Lady also revealed Herself as “Our Lady of the Rosary” and showed visions of Our Lord and the Sorrowful Mother, St. Joseph and the Child Jesus blessing the world, and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Blessed Francisco and Blessed Jacinta will be canonized on May 13, 2017, by Pope Francis.
How to Live the Message of Fatima – It’s simple!
- Pray the Rosary everyday – Our Lady asked us to!
- Practice the First Saturday Devotion – Our Lady tells us how! See below.
- Pray daily for the salvation of souls, especially the souls entrusted to you.
- Offer sacrifices for sinners. The best sacrifice is obedience to your daily duties according to your state in life.
How to obtain a special Plenary Indulgence in 2017
- Read about it HERE.
First Saturday Devotion – Our Lady to Sr. Lucia on December 10, 1925
- “Look, my daughter, at my Heart, surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce me every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You at least try to console me and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive month, shall confess, receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the rosary, and keep me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the fifteen* mysteries of the rosary, with the intention of making reparation to me.”
- *In 2002, St. Pope John Paul II, instituted the Luminous Mysteries which consist of five more mysteries for a total of 20 mysteries of the rosary. His apostolic letter on the Rosary HERE.
For more information on Fatima, check out these great resources!
- The Message of Fatima on the Vatican website
- World Apostolate of Fatima, the only Church-approved authority on Fatima
- Sr. Lucia’s Memoirs: “Fatima: In Lucia’s Own Words”
- 13-part video series on Fatima
Highlighted messages from Our Lady
(taken from Sr. Lucia’s Memoirs entitled: “Fatima, In Lucia’s Own Words”)
May 13, 1917 – First Apparition
- “Are you willing to offer yourselves to God and bear all the sufferings He wills to send you, as an act of reparation for the sins by which He is offended, and of supplication for the conversion of sinners?”
- “…the grace of God will be your comfort.”
- “Pray the Rosary every day, in order to obtain peace for the world…”
June 13, 1917 – Second Apparition
- “…pray the Rosary every day…”
- “He (Jesus) wants to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart.”
- “Are you suffering a great deal? Don’t lose heart. I will never forsake you.”
- “My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.”
July 13, 1917 – Third Apparition with the Vision of Hell
- “…continue to pray the Rosary every day in honor of Our Lady of the rosary, in order to obtain peace for the world and the end of the war, beacuase only she can help you.”
- “Sacrifice yourselves for sinners…”
- “You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace.”
- “…I shall come to ask for the consecration of Russia to my Immaculate Heart, and the Communion of Reparation on the First Saturdays.”
- “In the end, my Immaculate Heart will triumph. …a period of peace will be granted to the world.”
August 19, 1917 – Fourth Apparition
- “…continue praying the Rosary every day.”
- “Pray, pray very much, and make sacrifices for sinners; for many souls go to hell, because there are none to sacrifice themselves and to pray for them.”
September 13, 1917 – Fifth Apparition
- “Continue to pray the Rosary…”
- “God is pleased with your sacrifices.”
October 13, 1917 – Sixth Apparition with the Miracle of the Sun
- “I am the Lady of the Rosary.”
- “Continue always to pray the Rosary every day.”
- “Do not offend the Lord our God anymore, because He is already so much offended.”
Download and print your free Fatima prayer card HERE: